There are thousands of probiotics Amazon to choose from, and it seems like every time you turn on your TV you’re seeing some sort of ad for a probiotic supplement. So, why all the fuss? What’s so great about these products that you need to rush out and buy them? Here’s a look at what probiotics are, and what the science says about their potential health benefits.
Amazon Probiotics – The Basics
If you’re researching probiotics Amazon, you will see that there are somewhere around 4,000 entries. But before you spend your hard-earned money, it’s important that you know what these products are and what they may be able to do for you.
Even though you don’t know it, there’s a war going on in your gastrointestinal tract, also known as the “gut.” Trillions of bacteria and other microbes are doing battle for control over your general health. There are harmful bacteria, the ones that cause several types of diseases, but there are also beneficial bacteria that are doing their best to keep the “bad guys” in check.
Sometimes the good bacteria can use a little help in the form of reinforcements. Stress and other issues can deplete their numbers, as can taking antibiotics. That’s where probiotics come into the picture. Quality probiotics Amazon are filled with different strains of beneficial bacteria, and they can help replenish those that might have been lost for different reasons.
There are several different foods that contain probiotic bacteria, such as kefir, miso, sauerkraut, yogurt, and others. But it would probably be pretty difficult to just go to your local grocery store and grab some miso. And most people would find it nearly impossible to eat enough probiotic-rich foods to keep a steady supply of beneficial bacteria in their system.
As a result, probiotic supplements have flooded the market. The most popular types of supplements come in capsule form because they’re the most convenient to use. But some people prefer mixing a probiotic powder into a liquid or simply pouring a probiotic drink into a glass. There are even chewable products, such as gummies.
Bacterial Strains Found in High-Quality Probiotics Amazon
Whatever form of probiotic supplement you choose, you should know what kinds of good microbes you should be putting into your gut. These are just some of the ones that research indicates could be good for your health.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus : This is one of the most important strains of beneficial bacteria – it should be included in all probiotic supplements. L. acidophilus plays a vital role in helping to inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria in the gut.1
- Lactobacillus plantarum – L. plantarum is also critically important to your gut health, as it has been shown to help reduce symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome.2
- Lactobacillus reuteri – L. reuteri was actually one of the first strains of beneficial bacteria that developed in your gut, since it is found in breast milk. Not only does it work to inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria, research indicates it can also help support proper functioning of the digestive system.3
- Bifidobacterium longum — The Lactobacillus group of bacteria isn’t the only one that could provide significant health benefits. B. longum, for example, is another strain that develops in infancy. It helps to make sure we’re able to metabolize carbohydrates and digest them properly.4
Probiotics Amazon – Getting What You Pay For
Since there are so many options to choose from, it can be extremely difficult to make sure you’re not wasting your money. But if you do just a little bit of research, you’ll find it much easier to make your decision.
For example, look carefully at the labels of the products you’re considering. The information you find will give you a good idea whether or not it those products will be worth buying.
Check to see how many colony-forming units (CFUs) of beneficial bacteria are contained per serving. A “serving” can mean different things when it comes to Amazon probiotics. It could be a capsule, a portion of powder to be mixed into a liquid, a certain amount of a drink, etc. Probiotics range from 1 billion CFUs per serving to hundreds of billions. However, most experts believe that 15-30 billion CFUs per serving is a sufficient amount.
The label will also provide important clues as to whether the microbes contained in the product will be able to do you any good. If it says, “viable at the time of manufacture,” you won’t have any idea whether or not the microbes will be alive when you ingest them. On the other hand, you should be fine if the label says, “viable until expiration date,” or something to that effect.
Storage information is also vital. Some products need to be refrigerated in order for the microbes to stay alive, and their labeling should say so. There are others, however, that are freeze-dried. These just need to be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
It’s also important that you look at the label if you choose to buy a powder. If it says, “heat resistant,” you can mix it into a hot beverage, such as tea. But if it doesn’t, the microbes will die if they come into contact with hot liquid.
If you’re in generally good overall health, you shouldn’t experience any serious side effects from taking probiotics Amazon. At worst, you might have a little gas or bloating. But you will definitely need to talk to your doctor first if you have a compromised immune system or you have a severe intestinal illness. The reason is that probiotics can make symptoms worse in some instances. Just make sure you stay on the safe side.
While there are a lot of things you need to keep in mind before buying Amazon probiotics, you’ll find that just a little bit of digging beforehand can help ensure you get what you pay for.
- Will CBD or CBD Products Get You High? June 2, 2020
- CBD and Endocannabinoid System May 31, 2020
- CBD Full Spectrum vs Isolate May 30, 2020
- Is CBD Legal? An Updated 2020 Legal Guide May 27, 2020
- What Is CBD Oil?: Everything You Need To Know About May 24, 2020